Around mid-morning, a leak was discovered from a single valve in one lab classroom. The entire science hall was evacuated and maintenance crews and a technician from Atlanta Gas Company were called in to remedy the situation.
Unfortunately, the gas had by that time already leaked into the school’s ventilation system, forcing a schoolwide evacuation.
According to Elaine Womack, Walker County Schools’ public relations liaison, “the students were not outside for any extended length of time,” and enjoyed their brief foray in the sunshine. The problem was soon under control and students were allowed back in the school before lunchtime. No adverse effects were reported.
The faulty valve is set to be replaced, Womack said, and transferred to a more secure location in the classroom—namely, inside a cabinet with a lock.