“Much of the criticism towards the T-SPLOST is based on misinformation delivered by the opposition. Georgia’s transportation infrastructure is currently supported by the motor fuel tax; however, revenues are continually declining and we will soon be unable to afford improvements and basic maintenance to our roads. The T-SPLOST is crucial for job creation in Georgia. We are going to lose economic development opportunities and investments in our state without improvements to our existing infrastructure.
“All of the money collected in northwest Georgia as part of the T-SPLOST will stay in northwest Georgia, with 75 percent of the revenues going towards improvement projects and the other 25 percent split between counties and local cities. Residents will be able to see funded projects up close and personal and will not have to question where or how this money is being utilized.”
Sen. Jeff Mullis serves as chairman of the Transportation Committee. He represents the 53rd Senate district, which includes Chattanooga, Dade and Walker counties and portions of Catoosa County. He can be reached at his office in Atlanta at 404-656-0057 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.